|Posted by sedaliaareafarmersmarket on September 27, 2010 at 12:40 PM|
RUSTIC CHEESY POTATOES
(MAKES 16 SERVINGS)
3 lbs Yukon Gold Potatoes
1 Chicken Bullion Cube
1 TBL Salt
1 bunch Cilantro (save sprigs for garnish)
1 TBL Butter
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup (undiluted)
1 Lg Onion coarsely chopped
1 lb shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
4 Lg Celery stalks cut into ¼” slices
8oz package Cream Cheese
8 oz White Button Mushrooms, sliced in ¼" slices
12 oz can Evaporated Milk
¼ tsp dried rosemary
Non-stick cooking spray
1. Scrub potatoes and boil in salted water until tender, reserve ½ cup potato water, drain rest and cool potatoes.
2. While potatoes are boiling, melt Butter in a large frying pan over medium heat; add celery and onion and cook until crisp tender, about 10 minutes.
3. Add mushrooms to celery and onion and cook until mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes.
4. Add dried rosemary, chicken bullion cube and ½ cup potato water and cook until bullion has dissolved and water has evaporated. Remove from heat.
5. Once cool, cut potatoes into ½ inch slices.
Spray 9 X 13 baking pan with non-stick spray.
Layer 1: Put about 1/3 of the vegetable mixture in bottom of pan. Layer with about 1/3 of potatoes. Spread another 1/3 of vegetables over potatoes. Then spread ½ of the mushroom soup over all. Divide the cream cheese in half and breaking in small pieces scatter first half evenly over the layer. Then sprinkle 1/3 the shredded cheddar over this layer.
Layer 2: Position another 1/3 of the potatoes into a layer , add 1/3 of vegetables, spread ½ soup and scatter last of the cream cheese and finish with 1/3 of cheddar over this layer.
Layer 3: Place last layer of potatoes over all Sprinkle the last of the shredded cheddar cheese over top. Pour entire can of evaporated milk over the entire dish.
BAKE in preheated ! 400 degree oven for a minimum of 30 minutes. Dish is done when golden and bubbly.
GARNISH: Place reserved sprigs of cilantro and a few celery leaves on top so they look like a bouquet, and serve.
1. Dish may be assembled and refrigerated day before serving. Add a minimum of 15 minutes to baking time if coming straight from refrigerator.
2. May add chopped cooked ham to each layer for a hearty main dish.